Thursday 28 March 2019

Brunner Mine



On monday the 25th March my class went to the historic Brunner Mine site. In my car the driver was my grandad and the two other kids were Zaheer and Adam. When we got there we met our guides Mrs Meers and Miss Baber from Shantytown.





First we got told what the rules were then we started the walk over the river. When we got to the main site we got split into two groups one that walked around the site and the other group had to dress up and research things on boards.





I got put in the second group we first had to read about what coal was made of. It is made of water carbon hydrogen and sulphur. Then we had to dress up and have a photo shoot I was a priest. When both groups finished we had morning tea then we switched I liked the walk the best we looked at the return airway right next to it was the original entry but it was not there it collapsed when they made the road but there was a sign that was the exact shape as the entry was.





Then we walked to the beehive coke ovens when we finished the walk then we had big lunch that took about 10 minutes I had sausage rolls. Then we drove to the Stillwater Cemetery to reenact the funeral.





I called out a couple of the miners names. We did a quiz and had to find some family plots. When we were finished we had to start the drive home. By the time we got back it was the end





the day so we went home it was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nikau, it was a fantastic field trip and I am glad you enjoyed it. What a detailed post you have written.

    Even though our family has visited this historic site many times before, I still learnt a lot more about the tragic events surrounding the Bruner Mine Explosion. I especially enjoyed the re-enactments in photo and mime as they made the book come alive. Keep up the great work love mum x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Nikau

    This is a great description of our day out at Brunner Mine Site, I really enjoyed my visit out there and loved watching the class perform their mimes. Remember to check your work for the correct use of capital letters and write directly onto your blog post... Then we won't have the trouble with the work all across the page!!!
    Thanks
    Miss Power

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.